Sexual Compulsions/Out Of Control Sexual Behavior
Many people experience difficulty controlling their sexual impulses or compulsions, to a point that enjoyable and normal healthy behaviors become excessive, recurring, out of control, intense and distressing.
Often these behaviors may interfere with their relationships, their careers or other parts of their lives and are often associated with anxiety, embarrassment, and shame.
Compulsive sexual behavior can affect both men and women, and people of any sexual orientation. This behavior is marked by sexual impulses and/or compulsions that feel overwhelming and out of control, and often leads individuals to engage in risky and dangerous activities.
Common indicators that compulsive sexual behavior is a problem in your life:
- Do you feel guilty or ashamed about some of your sexual activity?
- Do you obsessively use pornography, adult chat-rooms, or the Internet for sexual satisfaction?
- Have you been in numerous intimate relationships that are short-lived, intense and unfulfilling?
- Do you feel like you are living a double life and anxious over keeping your story straight with loved ones?
- Do you or others who know you find that you are overly preoccupied, fantasizing or obsessed with sexual activity?
- Do you often find yourself searching and scanning your environment for a potential sexual partner?
- Do you often find yourself sexually obsessed with someone who is not interested in you?
- Do you find yourself fantasizing or involved in sexually arousing cross dressing behaviors that leave you feeling distressed and out of control?
How to Gain Control:
If you feel that your sexual behavior is spinning out of control, you need to understand that you are not alone. Feelings of shame, guilt, fear and embarrassment often make it difficult for individuals to seek treatment, but with help you can understand what is driving the compulsive behaviors and develop healthier, more positive sexual behavior.
I have extensive education and specialized training in the fields of sexuality, psychology, and counseling. I provide effective therapy to those seeking to gain control over their compulsive/addictive behaviors, and work toward the development of healthy, satisfying sexuality.
Compulsive Sexual Behavior Therapy:
Intervention begins with a thorough evaluation and assessment of your problems and needs, including depression, anxiety and relationship concerns, as well as, establishing a better understanding of your sexual concerns.
Treatment plans include individual psychotherapy sessions, and may include group and family therapy.
Spouse and Partner Services:
In most cases, the spouse or partner of an individual struggling with a sexual compulsion/addiction needs help dealing with issues surrounding these behaviors. I encourage individual and family psychotherapy for spouses and partners of individuals currently in treatment.